Sending and monitoring email

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Mar 19 21:28:24 CET 2008

Yes, if you can code everything from 'send an email' on as a plugin in
your favorite language. Nagios must be able to perform those actions by
running an external script/program (i.e. plugin). There's no standard
plugin that does anything like that except check_email_loop.pl which
sends an e-mail, then on the next run verifies that it was received in a
POP account. You could use that as a model.

I think your only sticky-wicket is listening on port 80 for the HTTP
response but I can't say for sure not being familiar with the system
you're working with. I assume that the whole transaction takes less than
a minute or so. If it's longer, you might want to have the HTTP listener
run separately as a daemon and log to a file on receipt and on your next
run of the plugin, verify that the previous transaction was received.

> If so, would you be kind enough to point me to the features of Nagios
> that I would need to set up the email send and passive HTTP wait?

http://nagiosplug.sf.net - Developer Guidelines and examining how the
check_email_loop.pl plugin works would probably be a start.