Very basic notifications question

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Mar 18 17:52:24 CET 2008

Nothing unusual here... The documention should be sufficient...

> What we don't want:
>
>  - Alerts for services that are not mission critical (we have a script
> that monitors the current Debian version for upgrade purposes)

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#service (and
#host)

notifications_enabled 0 (or)
notification_period none

>  - An inbox full of emails telling us that a system/service is down
> every five minutes.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#service (and
#host)

notification_interval 0

> Is it possible to set alerts for individual services and have them
send
> an email when the service changes state but not every time it checks?

Nagios wouldn't do that unless you specified 'is volatile' so nothing
special needs to be done.

> I've had a read of the docs and I can't see how I'd achieve this,

There's nothing special about what you're looking for. Very typical
nagios config...

--
Marc