Unwanted re-notifications

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Mar 17 20:41:15 CET 2008

I have a service that keeps sending me notifications of the fact that
it is critical every half hour or so, even though the notification
interval for the service is set to zero. In this particular case, the
port that is being monitored is temporarily disabled, so there is no
chance that the service is coming up briefly and then going back down,
thus triggering the notification. Looking at the nagios page for the
service, I notice, however that it says "Current Notification Number:
7", which would imply (to me at least) that re-notification is
enabled. What am I missing here? how can I get it to stop sending me
messages? I can, of course, acknowledge the down state, or put it in
scheduled downtime, but I don't want it to send more than the initial
notification regardless. Thanks!

The service definition is as follows:

define service{
         use                     generic service
         host_name               ffsbrw-rtr00
         service_description     WAN 2
         notification_interval   0
         check_command           check_custom_ping!xx.xxx.xxx.xxx!
1200.0,20%!1600.0,50%
         normal_check_interval   1
         max_check_attempts      5
         servicegroups           Satelite Services
         notification_options    u,c,r
         }

and generic service (which this inherits from) as such (yes, much came
from the sample files):

define service{
         name                            generic service ; The 'name'
of this service template
         active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service
checks are enabled
         passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service
checks are enabled/accepted
         parallelize_check               1       ; Active service
checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major
performance problems)
         obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess
over this service (if necessary)
         check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT
check service 'freshness'
         notifications_enabled           1       ; Service
notifications are not enabled
         event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event
handler is enabled
         flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled
         failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction
is enabled
         process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance
data
         retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
         retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              3
         normal_check_interval           5
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  admins2
         notification_options            n
         notification_interval           0
         notification_period             24x7
         servicegroups                   z Ping Services
         register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
         }

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.