Any way to make PING service use host dependencies?

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Wed Mar 12 05:04:09 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Adam65535 <adam65535 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mistakenly it seems figured that the PING service would use the host
> dependency config before sending a notification since a latency problem with
> a remote office would cause every host at the remote office to spawn a PING
> latency notification.  I found out today that is not the case with nagios
> (using 2.9).  Do I have to keep replicating all my hosts dependencies into a
> separate ping service dependency or am I missing something somewhere?

In Nagios 3.x you can use host groups for service and host
dependencies, but even then I think that this isn't the best way to
handle this situation.

I think the best resolution for for this one is something like the following.

I had a switch port that was attached to a VPN device I wasn't allowed
to monitor, this port serves as the connection between our local and
remote office, so I just created a  fake host for the VPN, put the
SNMP port and traffic status checks as the services for the VPN host ,
and then made the fake VPN 'host' the parent to our core router and
the child to the remote office router .. so now when the VPN
connection goes down or times out the remote map gets turned
unreachable.

Does that make sense?

- Max