check_smtp times out

Julie S. Lin jlin at personalcapital.com
Sat Mar 8 00:16:17 CET 2008

Hi All

for one particular server (mail.borken.com)  it sporadically comes back
"Socket timeout after 10 seconds " when doing smtp_checks.  however,
another server
"outside" the cisco pix firewall works fine doing the same check.  other
checks involving mail.borken.com come back fine, so firewall doesn't
appear to be
an issue.

below is my configurations.... can anyone kindly point me to things I
might want to look at?

services.cfg :

define service{
       host_name                       mail.works.com,mail.borken.com
       service_description             SMTP
       is_volatile                     0
       check_period                    24x7
       max_check_attempts              12
       normal_check_interval           6
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  jlin
       notification_interval           120
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            w,u,c,r
       check_command                   check_smtp
       }

checkcommands.cfg :
# 'check_smtp' command definition
define command{
       command_name    check_smtp
       command_line    $USER1$/check_smtp -H $HOSTADDRESS$
       }