Performance tuning a host returning results via NSCA

Oliver Hookins oliver.hookins at anchor.com.au
Fri Mar 7 07:06:54 CET 2008

On Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 15:56:51 +1100, Oliver Hookins wrote:
>On Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 22:39:41 -0600, Marc Powell wrote:
>>
>>On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Oliver Hookins wrote:
>
>>I'd also check communication between the remote and central. Try
>>sending passive results manually from the command line to make sure
>>they complete in a timely manner (should be fractions of a second).
>
>It's a WAN link with fairly high latency and low bandwidth, but according to
>iptraf the amount of data being transferred is low anyway. I guess this is
>what I was driving at in my original post - does Nagios only ever call
>send_nsca serially? If the service checks are done in parallel I would have
>thought send_nsca would be called in parallel as well.

I've just added in send_nsca_cached from
http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/11/caching_nsca_da.html with success.
It seems that there is some restriction in the calling of the ocsp and ochp
commands, because now that I am running them through send_nsca_cached the
load on the machine has increased and I'm not seeing any freshness timers
expiring.

--
Regards,
Oliver Hookins