Performance tuning a host returning results via NSCA

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Mar 7 04:57:47 CET 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Oliver Hookins wrote:

> I'm interested to see anyone else's performance values on a system
> where
> they are using send_nsca.

I have 5 remote nagios systems sending passive results to 2 central
machines every 5 minutes. ~90% of my checks are check_icmp. I'm using
essentially documented methods with no significant tuning except I
perform no host checks anywhere, have external command check interval
set to -1 on the central hosts and use aggregate updates. nsca is
running in daemon mode.

dc1 submits 572 results.
dc2 submits 931 results.
dc3 submits 706 results.
dc4 submits 336 results.
dc5 submits 1203 results.

All data collectors are 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 275
2.2Ghz with 2GB RAM. All also collect Cricket stats for 10's of
thousands of interfaces in the same 5 minute interval. 5 minute load
average on dc5 is 3.32, dc2 - 1.98 and dc4 - 0.77. All appear to have
plenty of room for growth.

2 central boxes receive all the check results above in 5 minute
intervals (i.e. 3748 results in 5 minutes each box). Both also do
_many_ other tasks unrelated to nagios. Both are 4x Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
MP CPU 3.16GHz, 2GB RAM. 5 minute load average is 0.34. Again, I
appear to have plenty of room for growth. I expect that my next major
bottleneck will appear at around 6,000 results every 5 minutes as a
result of nagios not being able to pull results from the command file
fast enough. DNX looks like a promising fix for that if better
methodology isn't built into nagios by then.

--
Marc