Monitoring Connection attempts

Bob Amen amen at oreilly.com
Thu Mar 6 02:08:16 CET 2008

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Before I start coding my own plugin to do this, does anyone know of a
> plugin that monitors the number of external connection attempts over a
> given period of time for a given service and sends alerts accordingly?
>
> I've noticed on a number of servers that we maintain recently that
> there are unauthorised attempts to connect via SSH/FTP.  These appear
> in the log files about 2 seconds apart and are obviously automated.

    Better than checking for this is to block them with iptables. Take a
look at http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/ which we use on our outward
facing servers. It comes with notification via email as a bonus. As
others have mentioned even reporting this abuse to the owners/ISPs is
pretty useless.

Bob

--
				Bob Amen