Monitoring windows servers

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Wed Mar 5 11:24:57 CET 2008

> From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:nagios-users-
> bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:54:44 +0000
> "Alex Dehaini" <alexdehaini at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We have a couple of windows servers. We are monitoring services they
> > are running i.e. IMAP, POP, SMTP, PING. I want to monitor CPU,
> memory,
> > Disk-space and any other low level service. What is the best
> approach?
> >
> > Should I install snmp on the windows servers or is there something
> > else that I can use.
>
> There is a nagios client for windows that we have used very
> successfully
> in the past.
>
> Download the client zip file from http://nsclient.ready2run.nl/ and
> extract to a suitable directory.

The original NSClient has not been developed for a long time and can have some problems on Server 2003 and 64 bit machines. There are several Windows clients that fulfill the same function as NSClient, but my favourite at the moment is OpMonAgent which is an actively developed update of the original NSClient code -
http://www.opservices.com.br/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=54. If anything it's easier to install and maintain than NSClient and It Just Works which is always good.

Phil

Phil Costelloe
Technical Consultant
mailto:philc at foundation-it.com
http://www.foundation-it.com/
Foundation IT
Foundation Court
Old Street
Oare
Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE
Switch: +44 (0) 1635 203700
Helpdesk: +44 (0) 800 0121099
DDI: +44 (0) 1635 203719
Fax: +44 (0) 8700 543537
Mobile: +44 (0) 7884 236299
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net. If you are not nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify Foundation IT immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Foundation IT therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.
Foundation IT
Registered Office: Foundation Court, Old Street, Oare, Hermitage, Berkshire, RG18 9SE
Registered in England Number 3281803