Check attempts seem stuck at 1 on hosts...

Rafael Sevilla dido at imperium.ph
Mon Mar 3 05:59:55 CET 2008

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 23:14:25 -0500
Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com> wrote:

>                 Hi there. I am attempting to implement a 3rd party
> plugin event handler which requires 3 host failures in order to
> activate. For whatever reason (I am assuming my configuration may be
> at fault) my Nagios installation never goes past 1/5 on 'Current
> Attempt' in the Nagios GUI.

Maybe you'll be better off using SEC (simple event correlator) [1] and
using very simple event handlers that within Nagios that write textual
descriptions of the events of interest into a named pipe that the SEC
process is listening on, and then have SEC execute the real action that
you want to happen when those three hosts go down.  You're trying to do
some fairly non-trivial event correlation already when you say the event
handler needs to execute after three host failures and I don't think
that Nagios by itself has the facilities to be able to do something
like that cleanly.

[1] http://www.estpak.ee/~risto/sec/

--
An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be
made in his subject, and how to avoid them.