Antwort: Re: Fwd: plugin for iostat readings?

Mike Hamrick mikeh at bluegecko.net
Sun Mar 2 14:13:51 CET 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com wrote:

> You need to call iostat with multiple checks - the longer the better -
> but then it means you would have to run iostat for like 30 seconds or
> so -> plugin runtime is 30 seconds too then! That means that check
> would have a high delay/latency, which is overall a bad idea. My
> solution so far is to run the plugin via cron and report output via
> nsca, this gave me the best results.

One thing you might want to consider is using sadc/sar for this job.
The sadc(8) program collects all kinds of stats on OS resource usage
and if you explicitly ask it, it will capture some interesting
disk i/o stats, including read/write requests per second.

One thing that would be handy to be able to alert on is the
i/o wait statistic available from sar(1).  The man page defines
it as:

"Percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle during which the
system had an outstanding disk I/O request."

So basically the plugin could just read the most recent data from
sadc by using sar and alert if the io/wait figure reached a certain
threshold.  You would want to adjust the sadc cron entry to run
about as often as your check interval.

Mike