NRPE Problems

Gregory Wong gwong at wong-consulting.com
Sun Mar 2 07:24:58 CET 2008

Hi everyone. I just configured my Nagios box to start monitoring with NRPE.
When I run check_nrpe ­H 127.0.0.1 it resolves the NRPE version as expected.
Since my monitoring server is colocated and I plan to monitor hosts behind
firewalls I setup a test server behind my firewall at home for testing
purposes.

I have TCP/5666 forwarded to the internal IP address of my test server. That
same port is also open on my Nagios server as well. I am running NRPE on my
Windows server. The version of NRPE running can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/24o3h3

When I run check_nrpe ­H <Home IP Address> I get a socket timeout error. I
did a netstat on both servers and it looks like there is a connection.

 TCP    gwong-srvr1:5666       gwong-srvr1:0          LISTENING
 TCP    gwong-srvr1:netbios-ssn  gwong-srvr1:0          LISTENING
 TCP    gwong-srvr1:5666       <Nagios IP>:36422    CLOSE_WAIT
 TCP    gwong-srvr1:5666       <Nagios IP>:38766    CLOSE_WAIT
 TCP    gwong-srvr1:5666       <Nagios IP>:38907    CLOSE_WAIT
 TCP    gwong-srvr1:5666       <Nagios IP>:38909    CLOSE_WAIT

root at nagios:~# netstat -at | grep nrpe
tcp        0      0 *:nrpe                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 <Nagios IP>:38913     <Home IP>:nrpe ESTABLISHED
root at nagios:~# netstat -at | grep nrpe
tcp        0      0 *:nrpe                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 <Nagios IP>:38913     <Home IP>:nrpe FIN_WAIT2

Any ideas why this won¹t work?

Thanks.