monitor status of legato backups

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jun 27 17:04:19 CEST 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 9:43 AM, dave stern - e-mail.pluribus.unum wrote:

> We're looking for some method to have nagios check the status of our
> many backups
> run off a backup server. Currently, we have a perl script search for
> just one or two specific
> lines and pass the results to send_nsca. It's crude and doesn't cover
> all instances.
>
> The problem is the nsr logfile has so much info in it, it seems to
> REQUIRE human
> perusal to determine status of all backups. Has anyone spent any
> time on a
> plugin/script for this before I code what might already exist?

Not a Legato user but...

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?
d=1&query=legato&Go=Go shows several related checks. The first seems
most interesting and leads to

http://www.net17.de/projekte/nagios/

check_nw appears to be able to check log status (among other items) --

     print "! LOGSTATUS - Check Networker Log for failed
Clients                                  !\n";
     print "! check_nw -t LOGSTATUS [-l path/to/logfile] [-m Minutes
ago]                         !\n";
     print "!                       [-p
savegroupname1,savegroupname2,savegroupname3,....]

--
Marc