Forcing a check on a Desginated Slave from cmd.cgi?

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Thu Jun 26 04:27:53 CEST 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Marcel wrote:

> have you looked at DNX? I think it's the way to solve your problem.

I talked to the DNX people about some contract work to develop a
slave-specific meta-data structure -- none exists -- DNX's decision making
is based on "load distribution" metrics.

As for determining which slave to exec a check on using cmd.cgi hack, at
least for our config, you you could use regexp match against the
service/host "hostname" or "notes" fields to make the decision.

The offer is still on the table for anyone who wants to tackle it.

~BAS

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Brian A. Seklecki <
> lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
>
>> All:
>>

>> In the el-generic Master w/NSCA distributed configuration, has anyone
>> developed a hack to have cmd.cgi pass a SCHEDULE_FORCED_HOST_CHECK or
>> SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK received by the master instance, onto a
>> designated slave?
>>
>> We have a config where our slaves are in remote facilities and the
>> master can only rely on passive checks -- attempting to force an active
>> check on the master is a no-go due to network ACLs and other
>> limitations.
>>
>> It would be nice to only need one web interface on the master NSCA
>> receiver.
>>
>> The problem is two-fold (and this gets into the whole inter-component
>> architecture discussion) --
>>
>> 1) Even with a cmd.cgi hack, there is no native meta-data within Nagios
>>   to associate a host/service with a designated slave.
>>
>> 2) There is no clean communications channel other than a shell script
>>   wrapper (ssh and keys, etc. that stdout's to the slave's nagios.cmd
>>   -- this could get ugly...fast)
>>
>> ~BAS

>> reporting any issue.

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

     "Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
     You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
     ~Maynard James Keenan