[Fwd: Bug Reporting / Issue Tracking System ?]

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jun 25 22:14:47 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 04:11:10PM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> > Yes, precisely my point.  If no developers are closing tickets, having
> > a tracking system is somewhat beside the point.
>
> My opinion is that Net-SNMP actually doing a suburb job.
>
> Good enough that vendors are shipping it embedded (a la OpenSSH into
> Cisco and HFUX)
>
> Moreover, even if tickets cannot be immediately solved/closed, they
> should still be documented to eliminate unnecessary duplication of
> reporting / coding / testing efforts.
>
> Having a 15% open bug ticket rate does in no way reflect poorly upon a
> project.

Well, you can look at that both ways: having almost 300 tickets open
and only 7 people working on them is a pretty steep hill... but I'll
admit I'm not familiar with their ticket universe, so I retract the
judgement.

> All of that is abstracted from the actuality of developers writing /
> testing / documenting code -- the code will be written regardless -- but
> 1) the chances of 3rd parties contributing patches back in and 2) the
> R&D overhead of the development process, which the ticketing system only
> serve to simplify.

Oh, I'm all for ticketing systems... as long as they aren't giving
people the impression that work is likely to be done which will not in
fact ever be done.  Have you looked at The Original Bugzilla lately?  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)