Problem scheduling downtime externally

Richard Quintin rich+nagios at quintinz.com
Wed Jun 25 17:21:58 CEST 2008

I had a similar problem and just switched to using the cmd.cgi to get
it done.  Attached is a simple daemon I wrote until I can get around
to writing a proper one.  You can take a look at it to get an example
of how to use cmd.cgi.  If you decide you want to use the script
itself, you'll need to make modifications for your environment and be
sure to heed the warning.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Tony Rice (trice) <trice at cisco.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to interface a database of upcoming downtimes to Nagios via
> the SCHEDULE_AND_PROPAGATE_TRIGGERED_HOST_DOWNTIME external command.
> However, writing to the nagios.cmd file just sits there and never
> returns.  I'm wondering if it's a problem with the way the named pipe is
> setup.  My nagios.cmd file looks like this:
>
> % ls -la var/rw/nagios.cmd
> prw-rw-rw-   1 nagios      nagios         0 Jun 25 08:03
> var/rw/nagios.cmd
>
> I've tried writing to this file from perl and a borne shell script with
> similar results.  An advice?

Richard Quintin, DBA
Database & Application Administration
Virginia Tech