NSCA not receiving or send_nsca not sending

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Tue Jun 24 20:13:45 CEST 2008

Hi All!

We're running Nagios 3.0.1 on RedHat ES 5.1, and have a problem where
after a while no new messages are being received by NSCA. Sometimes it
is from a Windows 2003 machine (send_nsca 2.4). Currently, this is the
only Windows machine that is sending messages to the Nagios server, so I
cannot tell if there is a generic problem with Windows. However, there
have been occassions when no new messages can be sent from another
machine (Linux).

When the Linux machines have problems, the solution is to restart the
NSCA daemon. However, with Windows there were a few dozen send_nsca
processes and restarting the NSCA daemon did not help. Rather than
killing all of the send_nsca processes individually, I rebooted the
Windows machine and that worked.

Perhaps one of the problems is the Linux machine running the send_nsca
is the Nagios server. (I did try it from a different machine and no
messages were sent either) It might seem sort of wierd doing things like
that, but there is a reason. We need to check the state and usage of
volumes on a NetApp. For all of the real important volumes there is a
service defined. However, we also what to know if any of the others
filesystems have problems or are getting full. So, we have one active
service that runs a script to check *all* of the filesystems. The status
is then send to the server (the same machine) using send_nsca. This is
done whether there is a service defined or not because the script has no
way of telling if there is a real service (although I guess I could
build something into the script). If there is a real service, then the
status is set. If not, the message is swollowed by Nagios.

To avoid the problem of too many send_nsca connections, I thought about
writing something directly to the cmd-file rather than going through
send_nsca. I also thought about having two scripts. One that checks for
a single filesystem and would be an active check. The second would check
all of the filesystems that do not have their own service and then would
send just a single message using send_nsca.

Suggestions, ideas, comments, etc are all welcome.

Regards,

Jim Mohr