plugins works on console but not reliable inside nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jun 23 14:40:33 CEST 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 3:18 AM, Heiko wrote:

> The plugin is used to monitor some F5 load balancers, i
> already hat a cat witht the developer on this list, and the
> conclusion was that
> the problem seems to be inside nagios.

Which plugin is it, where did you get it and was that his conclusion?
For what reason?

> Can I give you some information like config or logfiles to analyse
> this problem`?

I don't have access to an F5 to do any testing with but I can see if
there's anything obvious. The host, service and command definitions
would be helpful. Also, try running the plugin from the command line
repeatedly, as the nagios user, from the nagios machine, as nagios
would run it by substituting appropriate values for $MACROS$ you use.
Does it return instantly with correct values or take some time to
complete (> 10s)? Timeouts mean that the plugin is just taking longer
to finish than you've told nagios to wait. Given what's known so far,
you may just need to increase the service_check_timeout value in
nagios.cfg.

> Am I right that the nagios.log is cronologicaly?

It is (standard unix timestamp).

> in the following past you can see that the service is one second alive
> and in the next line it did a timeout,

Does the problem only occur when there is a problem with the pool?

--
Marc