Use nrpe_nt to start VB program

Emiliano Giovannetti giovannetti.emiliano at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 10:56:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

I hope someone could help...
I'm trying to use Nagios and the check_nrpe plugins to restart a Visual
Basic program if it's down.
The Nagios server is a Linux box (Centos 5.1).
check_nrpe launchs a vbs script on a Windows 2000 server which is the same
machine where the VB program should run.
The script uses WMI to check if the program is running and to potentially
create a new instance of the process.

On the Nagios server I install nrpe-2.12
On the Windows 2000 server I install nrpe_nt 0.8 as a service running as
LocalSystem and user currently logged is the domain administrator.

This is an excerpt from nrpe.cfg on the Windows 2000 server:

server_port=5666
allowed_hosts=ip of Nagios server
dont_blame_nrpe=1
debug=1
command_timeout=30
loglevel=7
use_win_metachars=1
command[process_restart]=cscript //nologo c:\process_restart.vbs $ARG1$

On the Nagios server I try out this:

./check_nrpe -H server.domain -c process_restart -a vbProgram.exe

At this point on the Windows server a process vbProgram.exe is visible from
the task manager but no windows are displayed.
Moreover the process cannot be killed from the task manager ("Access Denied"
message is returned).
In nrpe_nt.log I can see this line:

2008-06-19 16:06:02; 5488; 7;Command completed with return code 0

which, I think, indicates that the command completed successfully.

How can I make the program visible on desktop?
Am I missing something?
Is at least possible to do what I'm trying to do?

Emiliano