cisco switch ports

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Jun 22 17:59:04 CEST 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Dean wrote:

> Hi guys, I am trying to minitor a cisco 3750G switch via check_snmp.
> Currently every switchport is in use. However, Nagios reposts a
> great percentage of them as status unknown, with the only change in
> con fig between the ports being the port number in ifOperStatus.
> Anyone encounter this or have a possible solution?

Your problem is too vague. "My tire gauge won't work on 3 of the 4
tires on my car. All I did was move from tire to tire using the same
tire gauge. Anyone seen this before?"

Nagios is just reporting what check_snmp is telling it. Sounds like
you're either monitoring the wrong OID's for the 'UNKNOWN' ports, your
check_snmp command is incorrect in some way or the switch is reporting
bad data. Does snmpwalk show the data you expect? Does running
check_snmp in verbose mode from the command line offer any clues? The
more specific information you provide, the more likely you are to
receive a useful answer. Include configuration snippets, examples of
real-world tests and any interesting debugging information you've
determined already.

--
Marc