Multiple Problems

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jun 21 19:22:12 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:56:53AM +0600, Shoaibi wrote:
>    Okay, i have this problem and i would like someone from you people to help
>    me out.

I thought you knew it already?

>    I am developing a software which would list "publicly available services
>    which are monitorable by nagios" (listed at:
>    [1]http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/monitoring-publicservices.html).

List them in which context?  On a machine on which you run this script?

>    Problem is:
>    1. These services may or may not be running on the system at the time of
>    check.
>    2. How to check?

Wow.  I guess that depends on what you mean, huh?

>    ---a. On irc i was suggested using dpkg-l or rpm -a and then grep, but that
>    is distro dependent, is there a generalized way to do this? Or should i do
>    this manually?
>    ------i. if you say that i do it via lsb_relase -a, but that will given
>    different output for even Linux, isn it? Does it mean that first i will have
>    to cretae an array of Debian based distros and red hat based ones, then do
>    lsb_release -a, check from which group the distro belongs to, and then use
>    dpkg -l or rpm -qa and search for what??? (what should i be searching for in
>    the installed service list? coz in my experience for apache, dpkg -l shows
>    apache, while rpm -qa will shows httpd, am i right? if yes then what string
>    should i check?)

Ok, so that suggests that what you're *actually* trying to do is

"Create a script that Nagios users can run on a specific machine which
provides public TCP services, which will produce as output Nagios
monitoring definitions to watch those services, when installed on a
Nagios monitoring console."

Is that it?

>    3. Isnt there a easy and nice way to know using nagios that which services
>    are installed on a system, running or not...??

Using Nagios?  Nope.

>    4. What if i monitor a service thats even not installed?

It will show up as broken.

>    5. Is it okay to have multiple definitions of the same host with exact same
>    text in nagios? If no, what about if just the IP remains same?

I suspect the former won't work but the latter will, but I'm somewhat
of a newbie, as well.

PS: don't send HTML email to mailing lists, 'k?

	http://expita.com/nomime.html

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.