NRPE Install Error

jmurray at whoi.edu jmurray at whoi.edu
Fri Jun 20 14:29:44 CEST 2008

Quoting Scott Ackerman <lists at scott-ackerman.com>:

> Shankar,
>
> thanks for the help. The nrpe daemon is running on the remote server. There
> were no ./configure problems on the remote server, and the only "warning" I
> received when I ran ./configure on the monitoring host was "checking for
> Kerberos include files... could not find include files"
>
> When I ran telnet from the monitoring host to the server I got the
> following:
>
> trying <ip address>
> connected to <ip address>
> escape character is '^}'.
> connection closed by foreign host.
>
> So it seems as if the ports are opened between the two. Firewall access is
> allowed between the two (obviously or telnet would not have worked).
>
> But I am still stuck in the same spot witht the "CHECK NRPE: Error - Could
> not complete SSL handshake."
>
>   _____

Scott,
In case you haven't already checked...make sure that in the /etc/services line
you have port 5666 specified correctly. If you are running nrpe from xinetd
make sure that the only_from = is set correctly.

Check the logs for obvious errors and if that still yields nothing valuable,
then you may want to look at tcpdump and or strace to see what's going on at a
lower level.

-Jonathan Murray
Linux Administrator
W.H.O.I