SMS notifications

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 17 08:31:25 CEST 2008

> > On Jun 16, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> >
> >> Isn't there a free way to send SMS via Nagios ?
> >
> > Most cell phone companies have an e-mail -> sms gateway service.

Count yourselves lucky, here in New Zealand they charge you to use it in either direction.  You need to pay to allow people to email your phone, and/or you need to pay to allow yourself to email to SMS.

New Zealand mobile operators really screw the customer.  Prices are astronomical compared to Europe or the USA.

The cheapest way for us was to get a phone and connect it to a linux box making our own email to SMS gateway.  Of course, you mustn't tell the phone company you're doing this or else they want to charge you on a different (much higher) billing plan...

Steve