Flapping & notification

Tom Throckmorton throck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 22:27:06 CEST 2008

On 6/6/08 7:00 AM, Cyril Jaquier wrote:
> Hi nagios users,
>
> We are currently using nagios 3.0.2 on Debian/testing. Everything works
> fine. However, something is really annoying with flapping detection and
> notification. Let's take an example.
>
> We have SMS notification using gnokii for CRITICAL and RECOVERED state.
> One service goes into the CRITICAL state and admins receive an SMS. Now,
> the host start flapping between CRITICAL and WARNING state so that
> flapping detection inhibits the notification. Then the service recovers
> but flapping detection is still enabled. After a while the flapping
> detection algorithm enables the notification again.
>
> At this moment, I expect nagios to send a notification saying that the
> service recovered. However, nothing happens and the admins do not know
> if the service is still CRITICAL or not.
>
> Maybe we are doing something wrong but I think this makes the flapping
> detection feature a bit "unreliable" as you will miss important events.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi,

Nagios is behaving as expected - I'd suggest you re-read the docs on
notifications, particularly the section on service and host filters:

(from http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/notifications.html)

> The second filter for host or service notification is a check to see
> if the host or service is flapping (if you enabled flap detection).
> If the service or host is currently flapping, no one gets notified.
> Otherwise it gets passed to the next filter.

You might want to adjust your notification_options to include flapping
start/stop, that is, in your host definition/template:

  notification_options	d,r,f

...or for your service:

  notification_options	c,r,f

Cheers,