nrpe error - nrpe 1.9 - RHEL 5.2

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Thu Jun 12 17:57:09 CEST 2008

> This is an nrpe question so sorry if this is not the right place - I am
> trying to monitor a hp disk array and chassis and i have done this
> before using check_hparray and check_hpasm without issue,
>
> Now however i come accross a situation where nrpe is not starting as the
> user 'nagios'
>
> # /etc/init.d/nrpe restart
> Shutting down nrpe:                                        [  OK  ]
> Starting nrpe:                                             [  OK  ]
>
> nrpe[16836]: Warning: Could not get group entry for 'nagios'
> nrpe[16836]: Warning: Could not get passwd entry for 'nagios'
>
> # ps auxwww | grep nrpe
> 4294967295 16836 0.0  0.0   740   388 ?        Ss   11:32   0:00
> /opt/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /opt/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d
>
> so you can see its not running as the nagios user (Nagios is a NIS map)
>
> BUT
>
> # getent passwd nagios
> nagios:NP:666:666:Nagios Monitoring:/home/nagios:/bin/bash
>
> So the box can get the users creds - also
>
> # su - nagios
> [nagios at xxxxxx0204 ~]$
>
> # cat /opt/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg | grep nagios
> nrpe_user=nagios
> nrpe_group=nagios

OK i recompiled nrpe and it now runs as the nagios user - i have a
different issue though ;)

Even if i run check_nrpe locally on the box i get the following error

# ./check_nrpe -H xxxxxx0204 -c check_hpasm
UNKNOWN - insufficient rights to call sudo /sbin/hpasmcli

BUT nrpe is running as the user nagios

$ ps auxwww | grep nrpe
nagios   23963  0.0  0.0  10232   876 ?        Ss   15:10   0:00
/opt/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /opt/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d

and if i run the plugin exactly how its called from nrpe using the
nagios user it works fine

[nagios at xxxxxx0204 ~]$ /opt/nagios/libexec/check_hpasm
OK - Chassis Status OK

so anyone got any thoughts on how to debug this?

thanks