Nagios VM

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jun 9 14:44:00 CEST 2008

Tim Van Caeyzeele wrote:
> Hi Andreas,

Hi. Please don't top-post. It makes it terribly difficult to follow
the flow of a multiple-question/answer email.

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Offcourse I'm not using the vmware setup to monitor itself ;) It was
> monitoring the complete network.

Well, the VMWare server is probably part of that network, so... But
anyways.

> It's rebuilt for 98% which brings me to the part of decent
> backups...I'm not a linux wizz at all! Would you have some good
> recommandations for backing up my system in a simple way so I can
> rebuilt it after a crash ? Would a ghost image work (just for the OS
> and plugins) combined with periodical copies of the cfg files ?

To make a decent backup of Nagios you need to keep configuration files,
logfiles and all the .sav files under the var directory of your nagios
installation. The software itself is easy to restore, so it's not so
important to back that up.

You only need the logs if you want to be able to get reports out of
Nagios after a crash, btw.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se