Integration of Nagios with my application

Shoaibi iknewitalready at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 10:15:37 CEST 2008

I have a Java Web Application aka Servlet. It has its own users database in
a file which is of the format:

username, md5Password, email, cellnumber
user1,asdasjdas3qq0,user1 at somemail.com, 0123456789

Now these users can login to my application. What my application want to
provide to these users is:
1. Get the hostip, hostalias, hostname from user1 and add it to hosts.cfg
(does hosts.cfg allow multiple entries with totally same data?), i can do
this.. it isnt much problem. Plus do i need these users to be in nagios
users database as well for the sake of alerts via email/sms? If yes, what
type of information do i require? and where should i put it? or can i avoid
adding my application users to that? Coz if i need to add my users there in
nagios database as well, i will have to maintain the data consistency
between nagios database and my application user database...

2. List all the available services on the host that could be monitored using
nagios current setup, if possible private as well. I have to show these
services with check boxes before their name, so that user1 needs to only
check the checkbox to start monitoring the services. What my problem is that
how do i get a list of all monitorable services on the remote host in a
string? whereas remote host could be windows as well as linux? or may be,
remote host could even be local. As a start point, just tell me if its local
and nix based, ubuntu to be specific.

3. After the user1 has selected the services he want to monitor, i will have
to write the services.cfg by myself, thats a little problem. Isnt the syntax
different for different type of hosts? e.g. windows or linux? or different
type of services? Plus i also wanna add his entry for the notify_sms, how
can i write his cell number here? i mean is there way that instead of
writing the $CONTACT i write his number?

4.user2 might also subscribe for alerts for the same service, and may be on
the same host as user1 using the same process...