Error: Could not open command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' for update!

howard chen howachen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 14:48:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have followed the tutorial on this page to install nagios on CentOS5.1

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart-fedora.html

I have repeated the whole procedures at least "3" time, but still
can't get it to work...

Say when I try to enable a notification in the web interface, error
always return:

Error: Could not open command file
'/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' for update!

I know the problem came from permission, so I managed to get this work by:

chmod 777 /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

But seems when I restarted the nagios, permission reset, so I am
looking for the correct method to set the permission.

Below is the  information which might be useful:
ls -l /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
prw-rw---- 1 nagios nagcmd 0 Jun  8 20:46 /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

id nagios
uid=504(nagios) gid=504(nagios) groups=504(nagios),505(nagcmd)

cat /etc/group | grep nagcmd
nagcmd:x:505:apache,nagios

Regards.

Howard