Flapping & notification

Cyril Jaquier cyril.jaquier at jaqpot.net
Fri Jun 6 13:00:51 CEST 2008

Hi nagios users,

We are currently using nagios 3.0.2 on Debian/testing. Everything works
fine. However, something is really annoying with flapping detection and
notification. Let's take an example.

We have SMS notification using gnokii for CRITICAL and RECOVERED state.
One service goes into the CRITICAL state and admins receive an SMS. Now,
the host start flapping between CRITICAL and WARNING state so that
flapping detection inhibits the notification. Then the service recovers
but flapping detection is still enabled. After a while the flapping
detection algorithm enables the notification again.

At this moment, I expect nagios to send a notification saying that the
service recovered. However, nothing happens and the admins do not know
if the service is still CRITICAL or not.

Maybe we are doing something wrong but I think this makes the flapping
detection feature a bit "unreliable" as you will miss important events.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cyril Jaquier