nsca and comments questions..

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jun 5 20:40:38 CEST 2008

Please always reply on list so that others now, or in the future, can
benefit from your experience. You'll also have better luck finding out
your options since I only have my personal experiences to draw on.

On Jun 5, 2008, at 1:04 PM, matt wells wrote:

> Server1 sends to server2 only.  One way communications.
>
> You mention
> "There's no built-in way to
> replicate comments, acknowledgements, or any other CGI initiated
> action (except forced checks)."
> Is there another way to do this?

Nothing currently exists that I am aware of but there are certainly
ways to do it.

-	create a client/daemon similar to NSCA that can send arbitrary
external commands to the nagios external command pipe on remote machines
- 	write an event-broker module that intercepts those events and sends
appropriate commands to the above client or
- 	tail -f nagios.log looking for those events and send appropriate
commands to the above client.

The client/daemon might be as simple as an authorized_keys ssh
(untested) --

ssh nagios at otherhost 'echo "[timestamp] EXTERNALCOMMAND;options" > /
usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'

I'd probably opt for calling a script, that the key was limited to
running, that accepted the external command and options as variables
then wrote to the pipe.

--
Marc