Performance problems

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jun 5 18:31:45 CEST 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 08:01:12AM -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
>> Until last year I was using Compaq DL360's (dual P3 1.4Ghz, 1G ram)
>> monitor 800+ services at 5 minute intervals + Cricket data collection
>> for 10's of thousands of interfaces during that same interval.
>
> You're talking, there, about watching throughput on switchports and
> the
> like?  That's my next gig; do you have a good pointer on setting
> Cricket up to do that sort of thing?  It'll be my first time behind
> the

Cricket's hardcore but pretty extensible. You have to have a good
understanding of SNMP and rrdtool. http://cricket.sf.net is the only
source of information that I am aware of. Note that general
development ceased several years ago but there's not much that it
lacks if you think of it as a framework. The user list is pretty
inactive as well. If you do use it, the genRtrConfig and genDevConfig
addons are extremely useful for adding in new devices.

If I were doing it again, I'd give Cacti a serious look. When we
adopted cricket, cacti didn't scale very well and it didn't appear to
have obvious ways to script the creation of new devices which we could
do simply with cricket. I don't know if those have changed but Cacti
appears to be very polished.

--
Marc