Performance problems

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jun 5 15:01:12 CEST 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 4:57 AM, Nicole Hähnel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running nagios 3.0.2 on a dell poweredge 2850 server with 2gb ram
> and a xeon 2.80GHz cpu.
> Also running on this server, ndo utils 1.47b, pnp, nagvis and
> nagiosla.(os is newest rhel5)
> Nagios checks 113 hosts and 660 services, most of them every 3
> minutes.
> Server load is over 1.3 most of the time due to the mysql database,
> I think.

This sounds about right. 330 checks/240 seconds = 2.75 checks/sec.
You'll have at least 1 process in the run queue at any given second so
you have a load average of 1+. Why do you think this is a problem? It
seems quite normal for any linux box and shouldn't be an issue.

> Another problem is, I get frequently high ping times in the local
> network the nagios server belongs to.

There are many reasons this could be. High utilization of the links on
the network, high utilization of the routers/switches, speed and
duplex mismatches, bad cabling causing retransmits, etc...

> What servers do you use for this count of checks.
> Should I split it into two nagios servers?

Until last year I was using Compaq DL360's (dual P3 1.4Ghz, 1G ram) to
monitor 800+ services at 5 minute intervals + Cricket data collection
for 10's of thousands of interfaces during that same interval. They
were performing just fine. I replaced them with modern Sun boxes
because they were way too old and I was worried about potential
hardware failures.

--
Marc