OT: snmpwalk output format query

Tom Throckmorton throck at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 23:05:40 CEST 2008

On Jun 04 16:34, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> I'm trying to snmpwalk some of my ProCurve switches to find out why
> they won't report CPU-TEMP as I was led to believe they should (a
> couple do), and in the process, I figured I'd see if there was anything
> else I could monitor, Just For Fun.
>
> To make that process more expeditious, I was hoping that there was a
> way to get snmpwalk to give with *both* the numeric OIDs, and the MIB
> translations, since I need to know what the parameters *are* to decide
> if I'm interested in them... but I don't want to burden Nagios
> (remember Nagios?  This is a mailing-list about Nagios?... :-) with
> having to look them up ever 5 minutes.
>
> There doesn't seem to *be* a way to do that, though.
>
> Anyone ever try this, and figure out the magic mojo?

Hi Jay,

I find myself MIB-spelunking occaisionally as well :-)

I don't think snmpwalk can show OID's both numerically and textually in one run
- it's an either/or operation.  snmptranslate, OTOH, can show both in one
command, though only for a single OID at a time.  I find using them together to
be useful - snmpwalk to see what's there, and then snmptranslate the OID's of
interest, and since snmptranslate can give the full description of the OID, I
get the numeric, full OID, _and_ the description, so I have a better chance of
understanding what the object might mean ;-) e.g.:

> me at somehost snmptranslate -Ib -On -Td sysDescr
> .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1
> sysDescr OBJECT-TYPE
>   -- FROM   SNMPv2-MIB, RFC1213-MIB
>   -- TEXTUAL CONVENTION DisplayString
>   SYNTAX    OCTET STRING (0..255)
>   DISPLAY-HINT    "255a"
>   MAX-ACCESS    read-only
>   STATUS  current
>   DESCRIPTION   "A textual description of the entity.  This value should
>                 include the full name and version identification of
>                 the system's hardware type, software operating-system,
>                 and networking software."
> ::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) mgmt(2) mib-2(1) system(1) 1 }

Cheers,

-tt