Nagios with NDOUtils is not working any more.

Marcin Praczko marcin at 2fluid.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 10:24:16 CEST 2008

Hi

> It seems to me ndo problems are often related to mysql performance...
> On my smallish nagios test instance (50 hosts - 300 services), the
> db weighs ~300 Mb / 1M records, and everything works fine since
> I switched to innodb storage engine. Don't know whether it's really
> related (table locking vs. record locking)...
> I think ndo is able to cause a good deal of stress to any "untuned"
> mysql server, the README could be updated to include a couple
> of tuning tips (innodb pool sizing, small query cache as most
> requests seem to contain variable arguments, pre-allocating
> innodb storage, etc..). If a mysql wizard reads this, please give
> your advice :)

I think you're right.

My server with Nagios and NDO is quite old server, and checks are not so often (Min period is 5 minut). Nagios has set up delay between checks.

I am quite familiar (not expert) with tunning MySQL MyISAM tables / and global configuration for that (query cache, sorts variables, etc). But NDO is using innoDB. So I think that is quite good idea to put some more details about tunning DB in README file.

My server has not a lot memory (there is 384MB). And there is no chance to add more RAM to this server. It was useless in company, so I decided to configure it as monitoring system.

It tasks at this moment are only:
- run nagios checks over NRPE - and collect data to DB (NDO)
- run (every 30 minutes) Shell script (it is slow but it was the fastest way to write it) to read DB and update RRD files.
- cacti poller has minimal tasks (just check network stats over SNMP).

And server is quite busy. Especially when my shell script is running. Taking the lastest values from DB.

But anyway - DB should be tune on this server.

Anyone can help? (Links, white papers, examples about tune InnoDB tables?)

Marcin Praczko

Checked by AVG.