Ping flapping on Ubuntu client

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jun 2 15:56:27 CEST 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 4:12 AM, Izz Abdullah wrote:

> This has been happening since we installed the NRPE addon onto the
> remote host for monitoring.  The firewall is stopped / off.  Any
> ideas on why this is happening?  My first thought was the box
> thought it was being attacked, but I am unsure if this is the case
> and if so how to rectify it.  It will go green for a short period of
> time, and then go back to a warning state and start flapping.  It is
> green / OK maybe once a day.
>
> PING
> This service is flapping between states
> WARNING 	02-06-2008 17:09:10 	0d 0h 0m 46s 	1/4 	PING WARNING -
> Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 222.32 ms

This is showing a really high RTA. Is that normal for this machine?
Even for hosts over the internet I would expect that to be ~100ms or
less unless it's on some less robust connection (wireless, etc). mtr
might be useful in determining if the problem is with the machine or
some hop in between. speed/duplex settings mismatch might be at fault
as well. If this is normal, you'll probably want to increase the RTA
warning and critical values for the plugin.

--
Marc