Introducing a delay between checks in a Host Check (v2.11)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jul 31 18:15:09 CEST 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 6:40 AM, Shaun Mccullagh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> May I start off by thanking everyone who has contributed to nagios
> over
> the years.
>
> I'm newbie to Nagios. Our host checks consist of a simple check_ping
> command to make sure they are reachable.
>
> I've set Max check attempts to 3. The problem is I need to introduce 5
> minute delay between each retry attempt.
>
> Is it possible to this in a Host check? If so what is the best way?

It is not possible to do this with a nagios-2.x install, nor would it
be desirable to try to force this by introducing any delay with the
host check. To avoid repeating myself, please read http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg17242.html

I believe this can be accomplished with nagios-3 but I don't use it
yet. Alternately, you could consider not using host checks at all and
rely on service checks entirely but you lose the benefits of parenting
and host dependencies if you use those.

--
Marc