Help - I am unable to send notifications

jonathan williams jonathan.williams at us.g4s.com
Wed Jul 23 00:04:36 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:48 -0700, Sean McAfee wrote:
> jonathan williams wrote:
> >
> > That helped a great deal in helping me understand what it is typing
> > do.  That top line than of #!/usr/bin/perl -w does exist and the
> perl
> > file does exist in /usr/bin so it should all be correct.  Up until
> you
> > pointed out my typo of the spelling of perl as "pearl" this
> obviously
> > would not work and I was optimistic of this correcting the problem.
> > However I fixed the spelling and am still getting the same error.
> It is
> > just not seeing send_mail.pl as a valid script.  The script of
> course is
> > defined in the commands.cfg file as:
> >
> > define command{
> >       command_name    service-notify-by-email
> >       command_line    $USER1$/send_mail.pl -n "SERVICE
> $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$" -h
> > "$HOSTNAME$" -s "$SERVICESTATE$" -a "$HOSTADDRESS$" -i "$SERVICEDESC
> $ -
> > $SERVICEOUTPUT$ - $SERVICECHECKCOMMAND$" -d "$LONGDATETIME$" -e
> > "$CONTACTEMAIL$"
> >       }
> >
> I have yet to see you confirm that send_mail.pl actually exists.  None
> of my default installs have this script, so I'm assuming that's your
> problem.
>
> Download it from NagiosExchange
> (http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=2217.html;d=1) and
> put
> it wherever $USER1$ is (this is the default location of check_x
> commands, it's defined in Nagios' resources file).
>
> Sean McAfee
> System Engineer
>
> Collaborative Fusion, Inc.
>  smcafee at collaborativefusion.com
>  412-422-3463 x 4025
>
> 5849 Forbes Avenue
> Pittsburgh, PA 15217

It does exist and I pasted the text from it in a previous e-mail earlier
today.  I downloaded it from nagiosexchange as an add-on so no default
Nagios install would have this.  It is located
in /usr/local/nagios/libexec.  See below:

root at LOOKINIUM:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# locate send_mail.pl
/home/zlocaladmin/Documents/send_mail.pl
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/send_mail.pl
root at LOOKINIUM:/usr/local/nagios/libexec#

The /home/zlocaladmin/Documents/send_mail.pl reference is where the file
was downloaded and I copied rather than moved it into
the /usr/local/nagios/libexec folder so that one is not being used.  I
have looked this over and over and can't figure out why it says it does
not exist.  It's there.