Monitor log file for inactivity?

Mark Young myoung at nagios.org
Tue Jul 22 23:26:56 CEST 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Sean Carolan wrote:
> I have heard that check_by_ssh can cause a lot of overhead on large
> networks where there are many checks going on at the same time.  Can
> anyone give some practical numbers here?  I have about 160 machines
> that need to be monitored, most of them will simply have the basic
> CPU/Disk/Memory monitoring.  I would think that on a small network
> like this it should not be a major problem.

You should no problem if you are running on decent hardware since
don't have that many hosts and only a few services will be checked
with SSH.  NRPE is definitely the preferred method for running remote
checks.  With each SSH check you are creating a new tunnel, logging
onto a remote machine as the user you setup, running the command,
waiting for output, and closing the connection.  Plus you are normally
creating a public ssh key that allows for password-less log on.  You
can see where there are both performance and security concerns.

Check_by_ssh will work fine but I would at least take a took at NRPE.
The difference in setting it up may be smaller than you think since
you will have to touch each machine to install the plugins no matter
what you decide.

> Nice.  I really appreciate the help.  Nagios will soon be replacing
> the feature-challenged monitoring software we are using now for Linux
> machines.

Good to hear and good luck! :-)

Mark Young
___