NRPE

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 19:36:18 CEST 2008

Brent Clark wrote:
> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>
>> It's basically a firewall rule that states:
>>

> See thats what i didnt want.
>
> Im sure we the same, in that we run very minimalistic (kernel tweaking
> too) software installation / services (namely just http, ssh). But now I
> have to go write a ruleset all for blocking a port. I was hoping that
> the "allowed_host" (which from what I read is tcpwrapped), was good enough.
>
> Or am I missing something.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brent Clark

Hi Brent,

It doesn't have to be a software firewall.  I assume if you're running
public-facing services, your servers are firewalled in some way, be it
hardware, software or router-based?  If not then you've got a bigger
worry than NRPE being compromised.  And if you are, well where's the
harm in adding another rule to it?

allowed_host does do the job, but it rejects the connection after it
hits NRPE (i.e. it's rejected from within NRPE.)  The firewall adds an
extra layer of security, and prevents connection attempts from even
reaching NRPE.  I don't believe NRPE is by default tcpwrapped, see here:
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=101.

Regards,

Andy