host/service dependencies

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 22 16:50:28 CEST 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 9:17 AM, Assaf Flatto wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way or logic of service /host dependency .
> In today's dependency logic - there is no correlation between host
> failure and the host services ,
> even if the host is down - services are still being checked and
> reported as critical .

They may be displayed as CRITICAL, and they are, but no alerts are
sent for them.

> there is a need to designate a specific dependency check for
> services and then it will only "learn"
> of the down status .
>
> Is there a way to tell nagios that once a server is down - not to
> check the services assigned to
> this server ? to me it seems like this

Not really. Nagios is primarily a service monitor and services are
central to it's check logic. If a service reports a non-OK state,
Nagios will check the status of the host. If the host reports a non-OK
state, notifications for services are suppressed but will continue to
be checked. The service checks are necessary because Nagios uses them
to determine when the host has recovered. Bear in mind that the normal
and recommended operation of nagios is without regularly scheduled
active host checks. In such a configuration, a host recovery would
never be noticed if service checks were disabled.

> So once the host is down/unknown/pending , all the services on the
> server are not checked and do not
> send alerts .

Nagios automagically suppresses alerts for services on down/
unreachable hosts already. No special configuration is necessary other
than a host check_command that works correctly.

Pending status means that no services on the host have been checked
yet. No special action necessary there.

--
Marc