Best practice for monitoring virtual machine (OpenVZ)

Niall O Broin niall at makalumedia.com
Tue Jul 22 15:36:40 CEST 2008

On 22 Jul 2008, at 14:32, howard chen wrote:

> We have servers hosting virtual machines (around 10-20 per real
> server), we are using OpenVZ (a kind of container based VM), we are
> very satisfied with the VM performance currently.
>
> Now, we are planning to add monitoring to each VM as well as the host
> itself, this come to a problem, because if I install each VM with
> their own nagios, seems there will be quite a lot of overheads in
> total..
>
> So I want to ask if anyone here is using nagios with VM and can share
> about some tricks in deployment?

We use Nagios to monitor a number of servers running Xen, and to
monitor the Xen VMs. There's no question of installing Nagios in each
VM, just as you don't need to install Nagios on each real server you
monitor. Instead, you have to install something which can respond to
Nagios queries on each VM. We choose to run snmpd on each VM but you
can use other methods too.

If you instead don't want to run anything on the VMs then you'd be
restricted to running some scripts on the hos which tell you the
status of the VMs - perhaps somebody already has a plugin to do that.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin