Thoughts about a custom plugin

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 21 22:33:34 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:17:16AM -0400, stan wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:46:39AM -0400, Paulus, Jake wrote:
> > You should really look into NRPE (Nagios Remote Plugin Execution)
> > http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/addons.html#nrpe
> >
> > There are alternate versions of NRPE that run on Windows, etc. if you
> > must do that. Check out NagiosExchange.org for those.
> >
> > You should find that you can use normal plugins you already use
> > elsewhere with NRPE to do what you need.
> >
> I'm not certain this is intended for exactly the application I have. perhaps
> it is, and I am misunderstanding it. let me clarify my application a bit
> with an ASCI diagram:

Yeah; you have a non-routing dual homed machine on the edge of the LAN.

You can use NRPE to monitor both the machine you install it on, and,
with more careful configuation, any other machine it can talk to.

So you should be able to use NRPE on the dual-home as an application
gateway to let your Nagios console monitor all the machines at the
remote site.

Note, of course, that depending solely on non-routeability in the
kernel to isolate that LAN isn't good enough; I presume you're a) also
doing other stuff and b) smart enough not to tell us what that is.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)