Help - I am unable to get theNSClient++ to restart services

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 01:20:44 CEST 2008

  Jonathan Williams wrote:
> > I did (at least similar).  I ran it and it returned:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/pearl -w
> >

> I'm guessing the output was actually
> #! /usr/local/bin/perl -w
> which is quite different from what you wrote, but I'll have to
> assume that the output you gave me is actually correct (who in
> their right minds would give false info to someone who's trying
> to help them??), so here it goes:
>
> * There's your error right there. To begin with, you probably don't
> have a binary named "pearl" anywhere on your system.
> * There's "#!" in front of the name of the script interpreter, so
> the kernel has no idea what to do with it.
>
> Run this command and it'll magically start working:
>
> sed -i '1s,.*,#!/usr/bin/perl -w,' check_sendmail.pl
>
> Note that "similar" hardly ever cuts it, especially if you want
> more help and don't paste the "similar" command you actually
> used along with the output it produced. copy-paste is your
> friend.
>
> --
> Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
> OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
> Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231
>
> Got it...as far as the top posting goes...makes sense.  Thanks.  And yes
> there was a #! In front as you said.  I did say similar just because the
> OP who was helping me said I would get something similar to
> #!/usr/bin/perl <args-to-perl>.  My output was similar to that, but not
> exact.  Thanks for the response. I ran the following:
>
> sed -i '1s,.*,#!/usr/bin/perl -w,' check_sendmail.pl
>
> return:
>
> sed: can't read check_sendmail.pl: No such file or directory

I been following  your Emails on this issue and it looks like this must be
some simple mistake somewhere, for example runtime Libexec is not the
directory your using, FIlemames mispellings, things missing from the path or
some other unkown issue.

Try running some normal shell script that just gives a date or pwd to
validate the Libexec directory you are copying files to is the one nagios is
run from.

In the above command was it suppose to be sendmail.pl instead of
check_sendmail.pl ? (I am not sure I did not think hard about what the
command does) but most of the prior emails mentioned only sendmail.pl while
check_ is common prefix of most common nagios plugins.

Last in prior posts I noticed the -n in the command has a space between the
- and the n is it really there or is it just my email reader? if it is there
should it be there?

Tony (Author of NC_net)
(I actually prefer reading Top posted msg - but I understand Andreas  point
on Bottom posting or inline posting)