Nagios Notification using 2nd email server?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jul 18 23:03:03 CEST 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Mirza Dedic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a unique configuration I would like to get Nagios to do;
> basically right now I am using sendmail on our Ubuntu box which is
> setup as a simple relay to use our exchange server to send emails to
> our technicians and also an outside mailbox (Gmail) incase the
> exchange server is down so that they are still able to receive it
> using their blackberries.
>
> What I need to do is have a way to get those notifications to the
> outside mailbox if the internet on the network that Nagios Host is
> on is not working. We have MPLS lines that WAN our other offices and
> they have their own internet connections.

If the exchange server is unavailable at this time then configuring a
fallbacksmarthost in sendmail should be sufficient --

http://www.itworld.com/nlsunix070510

If the Exchange server is still available during the 'outage' then
you'll need to create a more sophisticated notification script that
Does The Right Thing since nagios doesn't know or care about actual
notification mechanics. I would use mini-sendmail for the actual
notifications since you can specify on it's command line which SMTP
server to use (-s). Essentially,

- receive notification request/parameters
- determine if internet is available
    - yes, send through Exchange
    - no, send through remote server
- ...