service dependent on host status

Mark Young myoung at nagios.org
Thu Jul 17 19:27:41 CEST 2008

Hi Assaf,

It is complaining because there are no services associated with the
host.  Host dependencies work for hosts while service dependancies
work only with services.  http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/dependencies.html

The reason for setting up hosts with check-host-alive (ping) as well
as a PING service is because Nagios treats host and services
differently.  I would recommend checking out the doc "host checks" and
"service checks" which explain the difference between them.

A solution, even if you did not like the redundant ping checks, would
be to have the host checked with check-host-alive but not include a
check interval for the host.  Then setup a ping service for that host
with a check interval that you would like it checked at.  The host
check check-host-alive would be run at startup or when the service has
a problem.

Besides the docs, Marc Powell had a good post earlier this year which
I am going to reference again. :-) http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/52470

good luck.

Mark Young
___