Zombie processes

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 00:27:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

On windows The definition of Zombie Processes is not well defined.
If you mean, a process that marked  "NOT RESPONDING" in taskmanager, I
always find that not completly unreliable, and in many cases the process
would start responding before the popup is triggered.

If you true intent is to restart a stoped service you can configure the
service to restart and have it submit a passive check via NSCA indicating it
was restarted via the Properties of the service in service manager.   If
your goal is to make sure a program or application is still running try
writing a script that tests some indicator that it is still working.  for
example if the process is suppose to write to a particular file on a regular
basis, run a FILEAGE check. if the process has some external interface like
a TCP port, use one of the TCP checks to see that the process is still
responding.

TOny (AUthor of NC_Net)