MySQL Alive

Valdinger, Stephen (DOV, MSX) svalding at doverchem.com
Wed Jul 16 18:24:55 CEST 2008

Please always respond on list so others have the benefit of the
conversation. You could do as Tom suggested and use check_tcp on port
3306 to see if you get a response, but in order to really grasp how the
mysql process is running/responding you will need to go at it a bit
harder than just a tcp port check. Have you thought about setting up the
username and password as macros and passing them as $ARG...$ statements
in your commands? This would eliminate the need for a username and
password being stored plain text inside of the check command if that is
your worry. Have a look at the documentation on custom macros inside of
resource files:

(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/configmain.htm#resource_file)

Resource File

Format:	resource_file=<file_name>
Example:	resource_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg

This is used to specify an optional resource file that can contain
$USERn$ macro definitions. $USERn$ macros are useful for storing
usernames, passwords, and items commonly used in command definitions
(like directory paths). The CGIs will not attempt to read resource
files, so you can set restrictive permissions (600 or 660) on them to
protect sensitive information. You can include multiple resource files
by adding multiple resource_file statements to the main config file -
Nagios will process them all. See the sample resource.cfg file in the
base of the Nagios directory for an example of how to define $USERn$
macros.

Stephen Valdinger
MIS Helpdesk Coordinator
330.365.3622 -O