check-ping

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jul 14 13:54:03 CEST 2008

Jeff Koch wrote:
> Hi Philipp:
>
> Thanks for your help. When we ran ping as nagios it bombed. Permissions on
> ping needed to be set SUID root so that an ICMP socket could be opened. We
> had changed that for security reasons. We'll make nagios sudo root for
> ping. That should solve the problem.

Changing /bin/ping to not be suid root for security reasons and then changing
Nagios to be suid root to fix a problem this causes seems more than just a
little backwards to me.

Do "chmod 4711 /bin/ping" instead. ping is a simple program of ~4000 LoC. It
has been thouroughly audited for security holes. Nagios is, in comparison, a
complex elephantine monster of 80.000 LoC. Add any and all plugins it might
run as well and you'll be well on your way to 250k LoC or more. Nobody has
bothered auditing it very much from a security standpoint because it's not
supposed to run with root permissions.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se