Multiple instances of broker_module ndomod not working

Alastair Cousins Acousins at networkten.com.au
Wed Jul 9 03:31:18 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've tried to do a fair bit of searching of the various mailing lists and messageboards and not come across anyone reporting a similar error (or trying such a thing!)..

Nagios Version: 3.0.3
ndoutils: 1.4b7

I am trying to use both 'nagvis' and the NPC addon for cacti with the same Nagios installation.

NPC implements the ndo database tables itself within the Cacti database, and as such, the 'best' way to run these two addons side-by-side appears to be to run two separate instances of the broker_module ndomod

This appears to be supported by the comments in the ndomod sample cfg files by simply adding a second entry in nagios.cfg eg:

broker_module=/data01/nagios/bin/ndomod-3x.o config_file=/data01/nagios/etc/ndomod_npc.cfg
broker_module=/data01/nagios/bin/ndomod-3x.o config_file=/data01/nagios/etc/ndomod.cfg

I have then configured the two ndomod processes to bind to separate sockets and use distinct filenames in all instances (config below).

The outcome of this is both ndomod objects are initialized by Nagios (as seen in the nagios.log file), however, the first broker_module entry is the only one to actually start outputting data from Nagios to it's socket/TCP port. The second module outputs some startup information and then just sits there with no Nagios data being output.

I've tried using both TCP and unix sockets, and also set both ndomod processes to dump to a file to debug further, and the behaviour is consistent.

If i reverse the broker_module lines, the first module (and thus, the first application) is the one that works, so i'm confident my configurations are correct.

I'm suspecting this could be a Nagios bug in how it feeds data to the modules. I havent tried this on earlier versions, but I do have a v3.0.1 installation on an older server that I will try to test on to see it it's somehow a regression.

I have also tried adding a 3rd instance of broker_module and still only the first instance is the one that processes any Nagios data..

Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any input as to how to proceed? Happy to do further debugging..

ndomod.cfg:

instance_name=nagiostest
output_type=unixsocket
output=/data01/nagios/var/ndo.sock
output_buffer_items=5000
buffer_file=/data01/nagios/var/ndomod.tmp
file_rotation_interval=14400
file_rotation_command=rotate_ndo_log
file_rotation_timeout=60
reconnect_interval=15
reconnect_warning_interval=15
data_processing_options=-1
config_output_options=2
ndomod_npc.cfg:

instance_name=npc
output_type=unixsocket
output=/data01/nagios/var/ndo_npc.sock
output_buffer_items=5000
buffer_file=/data01/nagios/var/ndomod_npc.tmp
file_rotation_interval=14400
file_rotation_command=rotate_ndo_log
file_rotation_timeout=60
reconnect_interval=15
reconnect_warning_interval=15
data_processing_options=-1
config_output_options=2
Cheers

Alastair Cousins
Broadcast IT Systems Engineer
Network Ten Pty Ltd
Main: +61-2-9650-1010
Direct: +61-2-9650-1151

Network Ten Pty Ltd ABN 91 052 515 250

Network Ten Disclaimer.
This e-mail (including all attachments) is intended solely for the
named addressee. If you receive it in error, please let us know by
reply e-mail, delete it from your system and destroy the copies.
This e-mail is also subject to copyright. No part of it should be
reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written consent of
the copyright owner. E-mails may be interfered with, may contain
computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully
replicated on other systems. We give no warranties in relation to
these matters. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an
e-mail purportedly sent by us, please contact us immediately.