Checking multiple different procs in one service check

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 4 18:14:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

   I have a need to test a collection of procs and their arguments in
one service, I was going to post to the list to ask for suggestions, but
then I thought to check NagiosExchange and found a couple of plugins,
but nothing that suited my need, specifically they were orientated to
testing if a process name is running, and the number of processes of a
given name running, but they did not allow me to specify arguments that
those processes must be running.

I found this to be severely limiting when checking on collections of
interdependent scripts (I don't want to just check how many "bash"s or
"python"s are running...)

So I've quickly written my own plugin in Bash to do this and I've posted
it to NagiosExchange in case anyone else has this same requirement.

The script is basically a wrapper around the standard check_procs
allowing you to test several detailed services in one service check
which gives a lot more intelligence that the traditional check if a
single process is running, especially if you have any stack of
programs/scripts/operations that all need to be running but you don't
want to monitor them individually or you have too many of them to
practically monitor individually.

It currently takes a really nice and simple config file so it's easy to
have a stack of specific things to test.

Feedback is welcome and improvements will be made as needed/requested. I
was considering adding support for process states and process metrics
other than just the number of processes, but I don't (yet) use these
options in check_procs and so I decided to keep the config file very
very simple and clean, rather than bloat it with options nobody is
using. I'll revise the plugin as I get requests from people doing
specific things.

You can find the plugin here:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2649.html;d=1

So there you go, a question answered and a new plugin that will
hopefully be generally useful for specific multi process checking.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon